Nov 8, 2021

Pope Gregory the Great and the Immaculate Conception

 


In this article, I will give several passages from Pope Gregory the Great which shows that he is not in agreement with the RC doctrine of the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary. 


"For we, though we are made holy, yet are: not born holy, because by the mere constitution of a corruptible nature we are tied and bound, that we should say with the Prophet, Behold, I was shapen in wickedness, and in sin hath my mother conceived me. But He only is truly born holy, Who in order that He might get the better of that same constitution of a corruptible nature, was not conceived by the combining of carnal conjunction." (Gregory I, Morals on the Book of Job, Book 18 on Job 27, pg. 384)

The above citation is also quoted by Aquinas in ST  Part 3, Q 34, Article 1, Reply to Obj. 3



"Moreover, since no one among men in this world is without sin (and what else is sinning but flying from God?), I say confidently that this my daughter also has some sins." (Book 7, Epistle 30)




No comments:

Eutyches and the Double Consubstantiality of Christ

  During the Home Synod of Constantinople, Eutyches was summoned multiple times to appear before the assembly of bishops. On one such instan...