Nov 26, 2020

Response to Robert Sungenis on Psalm 32



Earlier today, I was reading my copy of Robert Sungenis' book Not by Faith Alone. I was specifically studying Sungenis' arguments concerning the issue of imputation/infusion, and I ran across something that caught my eye. In response to James White on the subject of Psalm 32 ands its relationship to Romans 4:6-8, where it is quoted by the Apostle Paul, Sungenis writes the following:


"First, we can begin by citing the entire verse of Ps 32:1. David declares: “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.” Notice that in connection to being “forgiven,” “covered,” and “sin...not counted against him,” David speaks of one “in whose spirit is no deceit.” This statement is speaking of the inner quality — the spiritual essence — of the person as he is being forgiven. His spirit has no deceit. It is not merely a legal covering given to David but a restoration or recognition of his inner nature." (Not by Faith Alone, pg. 332, emphasis added)


I underlined and highlighted the above part where Sungenis appears to be citing Psalm 32:2b in defense of the Catholic view that justification is an infused righteousness rather than an imputed one.

Here is the entire portion of Psalm 32 which is quoted by Paul (including verse 2b, though that is not in Paul's citation):

" Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit."


Sungenis and other Roman Catholic apologists (Catholic Nick being a prime example in one of his posts on Romans 4:6-8) when discussing Psalm 32 always go to this portion of the verse to support the idea of infused righteousness rather than an imputed one. I see one major significant problem with this. When one reads the other verses from Psalm 32, it becomes quite clear what David means by "in whose spirit there is no deceit":

32:5- "I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin."

Notice the language that is used here and how it clearly explains the meaning of  "no deceit". David is not "covering" his iniquity. The word for "cover" here is כָּסָה. Here is an example of how it is used in the OT:

Genesis 18:17 - "The LORD said, 'Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do,"

Note the word "hide" is used here for translating the exact same Hebrew word that is used in Psalm 32:5. Below are a list of points inferred from the text and elsewhere that explain the meaning of "no deceit"

1) David says he did "cover" (hide) his sin, but rather confessed to God (32:5)
2) In general, when you are "hiding" something from someone, you are being deceitful.


Thus, we can conclude that David was someone had "no deceit", because as the text clearly says, he was confessing his sin to God, rather than hiding his iniquity. 





No comments:

Eutyches and the Double Consubstantiality of Christ

  During the Home Synod of Constantinople, Eutyches was summoned multiple times to appear before the assembly of bishops. On one such instan...